Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Disguised Blessings

In preparation for putting our personal residence on the market, our children have watched entirely too much television and played an astronomical amount of computer, Kindle, and iPhone games.  Peter and I have been hanging sheetrock and trim, caulking, sanding, and painting.  We've cleaned and sorted and packed.  Meaning that ultimately, we've put the kids on the back burner for a few weeks, and oh the guilt!
Yesterday morning, Samuel woke up with red mucus filled eyes, sore ears, a fever and all the other tag-alongs including a cough and sore throat.  He was way too sick to go to school.  Ethan appeared in perfect health, as usual, so we readied him for preschool.  After all the morning rituals, I popped out to the garage to start the van only to discover that  the battery was completely drained.  Peter had accidentally left the ignition turned toward the radio position after pulling the van into the garage the previous night, something very unlike my meticulous husband.  I called two friends and couldn't reach either of them to take Ethan to preschool, so I made the executive decision that we were all staying home.  I didn't even call AAA, because Peter could just jump the battery when he returned from work.

And you know what?  It was wonderful.  It was a reminder to slow down with my kids.  We made homemade green and yellow play dough, and each kid made an awesome hand print.  We colored.  My princess and magical castle turned out quite lovely, thank you.  I built legos, cooked plastic cupcakes and watched LeapFrog's Amazing Alphabet with two perfect girls on my lap.  Of course I cleaned, and sorted a thousand toys, and dealt with a bloody nose and many diapers too.  But it was so fun.  That nasty cold and drained battery were disguised blessings, because I needed a day like that as much as much my children obviously did.  Here they are, playing with their homemade dough.






Thank you for this awesome day.  NOW I'm ready for the cold to go away, because my ears hurt too.



No comments: