Monday, February 14, 2011

Poopy Wars: Mom 0, Ethan 12 (or more)

We decided it was time for Ethan to be potty-trained since he is 2.5 years old, if for nothing else than to save money on diapers now that we have the baby girls. After trying all the tricks I did with Samuel throughout January, I finally gave up and just put Ethan in underwear thinking if he wets himself enough he'll get the idea. Sure enough...2 weeks later he is completely potty-trained....but NOT poopy trained. Is he scared of the toilet? I don't know. Does he like that squishy feeling? Gross!

He's not regular, so sitting him on the toilet in the mornings or after meals hasn't worked like it did for Samuel. So we talked about "feeling" to no avail. I've resorted to the lowest common denominator...if I see him grunting, pushing or turning red, I swoop him up and run him to the toilet. This usually ends up with us dragging mess down his legs, the front of the toilet and overall being a failure. Enter stealth pooper. I'll ask, "Ethan, do you have to go to the bathroom?" and he'll answer in the negative. Ethan disappears and two minutes later Samuel says, "Mommy, I smell something." I caught Ethan in one corner of the house doing stealth pooping, resulting in his changing locations. I haven't found it yet, but I will catch my stealth pooper.

In the meantime, Ethan says things like "Mommy, I pooped on Lightning's face" resulting in a discussion of how Mr. McQueen felt about that. Lightning doesn't like it, and let's face it - who would?

And now the underwear drama begins. We must change the dirties and only certain characters are allowed to grace Ethan and Samuel's rear-ends in their opinion. Lightning McQueen holds the rights to their tushies and only when the Lightning supply has run out are other characters allowed to roam in derriere territory. A close second are other Cars figures such as Mater or Ramone. Voluntary butt attire also include Buzz Lightyear, Woody or various dinosaurs, but if and only if Cars underwear are nowhere to be found. Characters such as Thomas or Mr. Incredible are slipped on only when mommy gets them talking and they aren't paying attention to what is being put on their bodies. If caught, a loud "NOOOOO!!!" will ensue and negotiations will take place to prove that superior underwear are currently unavailable. Nemo and Wiggles pants can only be worn in cases of severe duress such as being out on the town with absolutely no other options. Plain white undies are completely unacceptable. Who knew?

Samuel can put his own underwear on these days so very little hostile negotiations occur. While stealth pooper Ethan is still winning the poopy battles, mommy will win the underwear battles. Maybe. What I meant to say is I guess I’ll go do the laundry.

No comments: